Beet green and manchego tart with herbs de provence on cornmeal crust
Ingredients (Pate brisee, use this recipe often with or without cornmeal)
- 3/4 C + 2 Tbs flour
- 1/4 cup medium grind cornmeal
- 1/3 C sugar
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 7 Tbs butter (+ 1 Tbs for greasing pan)
- 2-3 Tbs milk or cold water
- 1/3 pound beet greens
- 2 eggs + 1 egg yolk
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth
- 2 teaspoons herb de provence
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon coarse ground mustard
- 1/4 cup manchego, compte, or gruyere, grated
- Heat oven to 350 and grease a tart or pie pan
- Mix flour, cornmeal, sugar, and 1/4 teaspoon and cut in butter.
- Using pastry blender, fork or hands mix butter into four mixture until the dough resembles small peas.
- Add milk and blend until dough sticks together when pressed, but is still crumbly.
- Press dough into and up sides of pan and bake for 10-15 minutes, until golden.
- Take out of oven and let cool.
- While cooling, blend greens in a food processor. Mix in eggs, yolk, broth, cream, rest of salt, mustard, and seasoning. Pour into cooled tart shell and bake 25 minutes, remove and add grated cheese, then increase heat to 400 and bake an additional 5 minutes until browned.
- Enjoy warm or cold.