Almond Olive Oil Cake with Blood Orange - Have your cake and eat your healthy fats too with this moist and nutty dessert. Serves 8-12.
• 1 cup almond meal or almond flour
• 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
• 3/4 teaspoon salt
• 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
• 2 large eggs
• 3/4 cup granulated sugar
• 1/2 cup olive oil
• 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
• 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
• Grated zest of 1/2 an orange
• 2 tablespoons orange juice
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour a 9-inch cake pan or springform pan.
2. Whisk together almond meal, flour, baking powder, and salt.
3. In another bowl, whisk eggs with sugar. Add olive oil and continue to mix until mixture has thickened, about 1 minute. Incorporate vanilla and almond extracts, zest, and orange juice and whisk to combine.
4. Add dry ingredients to mixture and whisk to combine.
5. Pour batter into prepared pan and bake for 25-30 minutes, or until cake is cooked thoroughly and begins to pull away from the sides of the pan.
6. Remove cake from oven and allow to cool for about 10 minutes before removing from pan. Serve cake on its own; topped with berries, mascarpone, or creme fraiche; or with coffee or tea.
Recipe created for Bon Appétit’s Food for Your Well-Being program theme, “Foods for Your Heart: Embrace Healthy Fats”.